Sunday 19 June 2016

Anne Boleyn

I’ve recently completed my “Anne Boleyn” story... Dark Lady, about her possible romance with Thomas Wyatt... who referred to her as “Brunet” in his poetry.  I’ve always wanted to write about Anne and ever since I was about 12 I’ve read numerous novels about her. 
Mostly however they have tended to be very much full of inaccuracies but I still enjoy and re read many of them.  A few are “Brief Gaudy Hour” by Margaret Campbell Barnes, “Murder Most Royal” by Jean Plaidy, “The Concubine” by Norah Lofts, “The May Queen” by Margaret Heys, “Anne Boleyn” by Evelyn Anthony, “Dark Rose” by Cynthia Harrod Eagles. 
There are many new ones which have come out in recent years and I find that they are even more prone to historical inaccuracies than earlier works.
I know that the idea that Anne had a step-mother of lower rank was believed many years ago, but is now proven to be wrong.  But in some ways it can be a good dramatic device for introducing Anne, or showing the Boleyns through the eyes of a woman who is not as rich or grand as them. I had thought of having Anne with a stepmother who was a knight’s widow, who had a daughter... and the daughter would be Anne’s lady in waiting and narrator of the story.  But in the end I felt I had to go with a historically correct set up... I am hoping at a later stage to write some other short stories on Anne, perhaps detailing her later life.


No comments:

Post a Comment