Saturday 9 July 2016

Ray Sawyer of Doctor Hook Farewell Tour

I’ve been a Hook fan for a while, but had never seen Ray Sawyer live, and hoped that someday; he would do a tour of Ireland or England, where I could catch his act.   The opportunity came about a year ago when I went to one of the concerts on his farewell tour.   There was a support act, and then Ray came on about 8.15 pm... Cayce his son was playing drums. Ray was 77, and he was looking a bit frail but still full of life!  His hair was now long and grey.   I know that for some years, his voice has been declining in quality, but I was thrilled to have the chance to see him, in the flesh.

I knew that I was going to enjoy it.  He still has the verve and outgoing warmth that have made him such a delightful performer. Ray always will be a showman. When he sang the first 3 songs, I thought that although his voice wasn’t perfect, he was still pretty good.  His voice then began to decline and roughen a bit, but overall I loved him. I always loved the way that he has of throwing himself into performances.  I can’t remember all the songs, but he started with Walk Right in and finished with Sylvia’s Mother. 
Other songs were the “Wonderful Soup Stone”…and “You make my pants want to get up and dance” and “Cover of the Rolling Stone” and “Baby Makes her Blue jeans talk”.  He spoke a few times about Shel Silverstein...He finished up about 9.30 pm but then came back on, and did about 3 or 4 more songs... Including Sylvia’s Mother and his old blues favourite “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay”. He finished with his usual last song “Goodnight Sweetheart it’s time to go”.

 He was in fine form and it was a delight to see him.  I love Dr Hook and Ray was a lynch pin of that band, and I’m glad that he managed to have a successful post band career.  And I now hope that he has a long and happy retirement.







No comments:

Post a Comment