Friday 16 December 2016

California Mountain Range Benedict Brooke

California Mountain Range
White edged against the blue encircling sky
Ain’t no river blue enough, nor no mountain high
California mountain range
The shifting sands can’t change
Your place in time
Or halt my endless wanderings
Only touch the clouds one time
And feel the echoes of her mind

The Broken plains, the frozen waste
Alaska or some long lost place
Or the Boot Hills of some Texas of some long lost song
Some such place I stole from time
Now long lost within my mind
Where only memory knows, that someone did somebody wrong

California Mountain range
The seasons pass and never change
The soft calls of your canyons and your ridge back highs
Only touching your stony ground
Your head in clouds wreathed all around
And speaking quietly of softer times
And gently falls the wind swept snow
And passing winds that cannot show
Those secrets that are lost, e’en in the finding
California Mountain Sky
The traveller with his head held high
Up on the ridge backed pass and winding
Past the skyline, past the trees
California morning Breeze
Strays through my hair and ties me to her wand’ring..
‘cross the leaves to firmer ground
Your silence echoing around
Then final world of half a lifetime’s wondering
Now high above the rising pass
She lays and names her home at last

Now California mountain range
Take me in your arms of stone
And make of me a place called home
And lay to rest my empty dreams of passing time
Let my feet move to the dance
Of knowing luck and certain chance
Where no one hears the evening fall, and blue stars shine

Take my hand and lead me high
Where the passing trail can’t wind
Beyond the snowline, where the sun is falling
Place my hand upon the clouds
And ease my body to the ground
Let me rise to greet the early morning
Where rock is smooth as polished glass
Swallowed In memories of her past
Where still your silent watchfulness is standing
And somewhere there - I’ll raise my head
When sky turns rust and rivers red
And ask a little understanding

California mountain range
White edged against the blue encircling sky
Ain’t no river blue enough, nor no mountain high
I’ll weep not nor ask you why
Say only that I’ll rest here while I’m waiting
And then upon your silent sky
We’ll walk to clouds and there goodbye
Will change into a new dawn’s making…




1 comment: