Sunday 5 February 2017

Cold Water, a search for meaning Benedict Brooke


I still find traces of unknown places

And things that were lost by Time

I sometimes think that inside a drink

I’ll find old friends of mine

I’ve opened doors, got scars from wars

Yet nothing seems to change

Bet on dark horses and occult forces

But life just ain’t that strange

I’ve hung my head; I’ve begged to be dead

And I never meant a word

Thought I was strong and sang a song

Too nascent to be heard

I’ve played for time and spun a line

And never fooled a one

Imagined schemes and crack eyed dreams

Shot down before begun

I’ve seen the world gross and unfurled

Yet never stirred a hair

Both God and gold left me quite cold

Ain’t nothing so insincere

And I’ve locked horns with unicorns

And many kinds of fabled beast

And danced with stars and haunted bars

That misled me not in the least

I’ve fooled with runes and picked up tunes

Embossed within my skull

And I looked askance at each last chance

My heart at least was full

Of platitudes and attitudes

I had more content than I was worth….

Yet I wonder “what the bloody hell,

Am I doing on this Earth”.




No comments:

Post a Comment